Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

The lift gate wont open using the key or the inside switch.

Customer Question

the lift gate wont open using the key or the inside switch. it will open manually. we had our 15k check up 2 days ago
JA: Is the key stripped or worn?
Customer: no
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 2015 highlander
JA: Are you fixing your Highlander yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: nope.....I pressed the key button and the button inside the vehicle. I do hear two beeps when both the key and button are pushed
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

On most of these there is a power back door main switch in the glove box that needs turned on to use the power features to open and close the lift gate.Have you checked or can you check and see if this is switched on?If it is found to be o.k. let me know so we can continue from here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete