Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner of a mobile diagnostics company assisting auto technicians with difficult vehicles

I lost my keys. Its a 2007 toyota.solara convertable. I have

Customer Question

JA: Hi. What seems to be the problem?
Customer: I lost my keys. Its a 2007 toyota.solara convertable. I have otdered a lock cylinder with 2 keys programed to it. How do i get the old cylinder iut
JA: Do you have a backup key? Maybe the emergency kind that fits in your wallet?
Customer: No nothing
JA: Are you fixing your Solara yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I havnt done anything yet. Except break into my car
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Dont think so...
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 month ago.

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a independent contractor for just answer. ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.There will probably be some equipment needed for a proper diagnosis. If you are not comfortable with this or do not have any test equipment please let me know ASAP. I also give you all of the information you may need in good faith expecting a positive rating. I am not compensated for my time until you leave a positive rating. Your rating should be based on the service you received.

after you have replaced the cylinder do you realize it will need to be programmed?

Getting the cylinder out can be a bit tricky. You need to get the cylinder turned to accessory position

Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 month ago.

I have used a screwdriver and a hammer. Drive it in and force to acc. Try to use a screwdriver that you can get with a wrench after in place. Do not force with hammer. You can break the aluminum housing and then you will be in market for a column. Or you can drill it out. Much more time and aggravation involved with this method. Once you get to acc, there is a pin to release the lock cylinder on bottom of column