Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer

I am just looking to learn how to "flush" my differential?

Customer Question

HI, I am just looking to learn how to "flush" my differential? I'm not the most auto savvy, but it seems easier than paying $400 at the dealer
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota? The Toyota Mechanic's require payment for their services. It's way less expensive on JustAnswer than face-to-face would cost.
Customer: 2004 toyota highlander
JA: Are you fixing your Highlander yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'd like to do it myself but havent yet
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer and allowing me to assist you. Well actually there is no procedure for flushing the gear oil from the differentials and transfer cases it's just a drain and fill. And if I may suggest to add an additive that would be very beneficial as well. Use either forte or wynns gear oil additive , both will raise the index number from 7 to about a 9 and also supply superior friction proofing.You will need new drain and filler plug washers and a siphon gun to put the new oil back in. Always undo the filler plug first just in case it seizes .Would you like some pics to help you?Would you like to talk on the phone so I can walk you through it?