Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.

My 2009 Corolla is making a ticking noise when I have my

Customer Question

My 2009 Corolla is making a ticking noise when I have my foot on the break. I took it to the local Toyota dealer (where we purchased the car) and they did a compression test and it's not holding. Any suggestions?
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: It sounds like it is coming from the engine. This only started happening. Also, when I pull to a stoplight/stop sign it, the car kinda jerks/sputters (almost like it's going to die).
JA: Are you fixing your Corolla yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Oh goodness no, I am not at all going to fix it myself, I am not a car person. It is at the dealer right now.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If your compression is not holding or reaching what it should be this indicates a fault with the engine which is also causing the ticking noise and running issue you see here as well.

Most likely one or more of the valves in the cylinder head(s) are at fault here causing this fault as this is usually most common.

The dealer will have to most likely take apart the engine to inspect further to locate the cause then repair it.Unfortunately this can be an expensive repair sometimes reaching over $2000 or more.Bit the engine will need inspected further to pinpoint and repair this issue here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete