Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

I have a 2013 Toyota Sienna. My little kids were playing in

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 2013 Toyota Sienna. My little kids were playing in my car and pushed a lot of button. They also drained the battery. We jumped the battery but now it won't accelerate beyond 15 mph. I can push the gas pedal to the floor and it doesn't rev. Any ideas?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer and allowing me to assist you. Just a question , you didn't jump it backwards did you or arc it? I would be checking all fuses big and small inside and out it sounds like one of them blew. after you checked them let me know what you found and we can go from there. good luck.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It's quite possible. My husband know near to nothing about cars and jumped it. How do you jump it backwards? What does it mean to arc it?

well if you put the jumper wires to the battery the wrong way pos to neg and neg to pos it only takes a split second to blow a fuse or fuse able link. that's what probably happened. Arcing it is when you have the jumper car running with the cables hook up to it ,then you connect them to the one needing a jump and it sparks, that's arcing and gives a current surge. when jumping the right way is to put pos to pos and neg to a good solid ground on the engine.on both vehicles' now you are going to have to check all small and large fuses especialy the large 80 to 120 amp square fuses alternator and main

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok, thanks for the explanation. My husband said he did have the cables switched the first time. we had the van towed to a mechanics. I'm planning on calling them in the morning. What should I tell them to check?

here is a pic of where to start looking this fuse block is under the hood close to the battery and black

hope this helps your problem and if I can be of further assistance I'll be happy to do so.Please give me a positive ratting thank you

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will def give you a pod rating. If the fuse is broke can we fix it or should I have a mechanic?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Meant a positive rating :)

If it's one of those bigger ones defiantly have a shop do it because you have to get into the fuse block works to replace them and unless you know what your doing could cause a lot of problems. Make sure the shop that's going to be doing this is also comfortable with doing it also.