scionking
scionking, Toyota Expert
Experience:  5 YRS EXP. ASE MASTER CERTIFIED/ TOYOTA MASTER CERTIFIED
26789525

I recently switched out my battery on my girlfiends 2003

Customer Question

Hello I recently switched out my battery on my girlfiends 2003 Toyota Camry and now it looks like the factory alarm is not letting me shift out of park and the electricals no longer work (AC/power windows/radio). Do you how i can fix this without taking it to a mechanic?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  scionking replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer, my name is Stephen.

The factory immobilizer system will allow the engine to crank over but will not let the engine actually start.

Are you able to start the car? Is it possible that there was any arcing when the battery was replaced of is it possible that it was hooked up backwards? Or is it possible that it was jump started backwards before the battery was replaced? the symptoms you describe sound like some fuses were blown?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What do I do next? I really need to get it running today. Can I override the factory immobilizer?

Please respond with answering the questions I have asked, I do not think you have an immobilizer issue.

1.Are you able to start the car?

2. Is it possible that there was any arcing when the battery was replaced of is it possible that it was hooked up backwards?

3.Or is it possible that it was jump started backwards before the battery was replaced?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The car will start, but the shifter cannot be moved unless you remove the little tab infront of the shifter and hold down the button inside. The engine will rev but some of the electrical won't work. I think it's the immobileizer settings not a blown fuse. The battery was installed properly

If the car is running then it is not the immobilizer.

Please check to see if the brake lights work?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm not currently near the car. I know the headlights work though

OK, the brake lights need to be checked. If they are not working then all the fuses under the dash and in the engine compartment need to be checked. The car will not shift into gear unless the brake lights work. I think you have multiple blown fuses.