rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

Does an 88 Toyota Supra (fuel injection) have a choke?

Customer Question

Category: Toyota
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

Expert:  rpmdiag replied 2 months ago.

No, but it does have either an engine coolant temperature sensor that does the same thing as a choke did for carbureted engines.

It richens the mixture for cold starts.

Thanks, Ron

Expert:  rpmdiag replied 2 months ago.

In your case, you have a cold start injector that is controlled by a thermo time switch. Basically the same thing.

Thanks again and please remember to rate me 5 stars for answering this question and also keep this link in case you need me again later on.

]Ron

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay...here's my problem..and I've gone to just answer before and still have the problem....and that is - the car starts okay, but revs erratically between 1200 rpm and higher as the engine warms up...than it stalls, apparently floods...and I have to wait around 30 minutes or so before it starts up again (and same thing happens)...I've replaced the idle control valve and the air control valve and that didn't help...so where else could the problem be?
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 2 months ago.

Okay, well I did answer your original problem.

We really don't know if it's flooding or running out of fuel. You need to check the fuel pressure with a gauge and also tap in to the computer system to check for stored codes.

Thanks again,

Expert:  rpmdiag replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm just following up with you to see if you have any more questions.
Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ron...there's some sort of communication problem....after I received your initial response I had some follow-up questions which apparently did not get back to you because it looks like someone else handled them and resolved my problem...if you check you'll see that extensive communication exchange...In any case, I've already given a rating on this problem..talk to your service manager.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 2 months ago.

Did you talk to someone on the phone?

There's no record of any ratings here.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The rating I gave was for the mechanic (no name listed) who I had an extensive dialogue with since I never got contacted back with you - and who I ended up rating...check order no. 16674767-273
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 2 months ago.

Okay