Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer

93 Camry. Replaced head gasket and oil pump. Was running

Customer Question

93 Camry. Replaced head gasket and oil pump. Was running before - just Exxon Valdez. Fuel pressure/flow good, spark test shows pale yellow spark on cranking on cyl #1, no start or stutter. Checked plugs - wet fouled w/gas. (new platinum NGK's). Followed AllDate trouble guide, verified ECU, Ignitor all wiring OK and no stored OBD I codes. Tried new distributor, used ignitor - no go. Any ideas????
JA: How many miles are on the vehicle? And when was it last serviced?
Customer: 96,000 mi - new T/Belt, verified crank/cam timing correct, New OEM cap/rotor, tried known good distributor too.
JA: Are you fixing your Camry yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes - as noted, all electrical tested, full diagnostic probe of ECU, all voltages & grounds test OK, even tried another known good igniter.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I know of
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer and allowing me to assist you, How old are the spark plug wires and did you check their resistances? also make sure the pick up coil air gap is proper it is adjustable use a none metallic feeler gauge to check it or you'll screw it up.The last thing which is quite common if the spark plugs where very worn wide gap before they were replaced is to check the ignition coil. What you are looking for is a dark or burnt spot directly inline with the distributor rotor.replace the coil. this is caused when the spark jumps to the rotor because the gap there is smaller then at the spark plug, electron theory electrons flow to the path of lest resistance.Hope this helps you find your problem and if you require further assistance I'll be happy to do so. also make sure no oil is present inside the distributor.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Wires are new, tried a new aftermarket distributor, tried a rebuilt distributor, all air gaps verified. As noted, cap, rotor new- no carbon tracking, new coil too. At cranking speed, timing light indicates firing at TDC on No 1. Spark appears good but possible plugs are being flooded with fuel. ECU?

well I see you bin busy, and replaced just about every thing in the ignition area that can cause a weak mentioned it was a pale yellow spark when it should be a crisp blue spark. the next thing I would like you to do is a compression test just to eliminate any mechanical problems.