Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

My 2010 corolla mode controller got stuck and then released

Customer Question

My 2010 corolla mode controller got stuck and then released and now the air only blows in the defrost where it was when it got stuck...all other temps work correctly
JA: How long has this been an issue? How many miles are on the car?
Customer: it broke about 2 months ago I had it on defrost and it was geting stuk when trying to change it and then car would run a bit and it wold change. but then onemorning it turned violently and I knew it was broken the other 2 controllers work fine but it wont change from defrost to floor or vents and the car only has 130k
JA: Are you fixing your Corolla yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: look I really need to know the name of the part so I can order and put it in I dont think it is just the know on the front
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thank you
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Jared D replied 3 months ago.

When this happens on the 2010 corolla either the control head has broken on the back where the mode cable connects or the mode cable it self has broken. I have seen a handful of each. You will need to remove the control head and take a look at the back where the cable connects to see what happened. Have you pulled anything to get to the control head yet?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No...not sure how to do that
Expert:  Jared D replied 3 months ago.

Here is the last step in the process. Take a look at the prior 14 steps and let me know if you think this is something you want to tackle. It's a little involved.

Expert:  Jared D replied 2 months ago.

Let me know if you still need help with this.

Please don't forget to rate.