Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

Vsc lights came on. Solonoid e code. Does this mean a new

Customer Question

Vsc lights came on. Solonoid e code. Does this mean a new transmission is needed?
JA: Do you happen to know the code? Have you tried to reset the computer?
Customer: No on knowing the code... it showed solonoid e when I looked. No to trying to reset computer. A/t oil temp light came on twice in last two days. Stopped car, cooled down, was good to drive till next time, then the vcs lights...
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: P2 toy 4runner
JA: What year is your 4Runner?
Customer: 2002
JA: Are you fixing your 4Runner yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No... at dealership. They are telling me I need to replace entire transmission, but I don't read that online?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just started towing a 3500 lb trailer 1400mi/4 days ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 3 months ago.

Do you have the VIN available and can you get the specific code numbers from the dealer that they would have used to make there diagnosis to replace the trans?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I can get codes in an hr. Took a break to eat lunch and debate next steps.

Ok let me know.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
P0770

First of all there is a technical service bulletin EG025–02 if you Google that number it will bring up multiple places where you can read the entire technical service bulletin. It fits your description exactly for the P0770 code. And when and how it sets. The bot***** *****ne is the dealership is trying to sell you a transmission but without seeing the extent of damage to the transmission if it was severely overheated it's hard to say for sure however the minimum you would probably be looking at to resolve this problem for towing a trailer and the conditions that you're putting it under would mean replacing the valve body and upgrading the calibration of the engine control computer. The valve body runs about $1200 retail and the labor is roughly 3 hours times your local labor rate. If you're not towing the trailer for long periods of time anymore and are just looking to tool around I would clear the codes have a transmission flush done to get the burnt transmission fluid out have the recalibration done anyway to the computer and it might get you by without any major expenses. Also consider adding an extra transmission cooler out in front of the air-conditioning condenser. The vehicle skid control light will come on by default whenever you have a malfunction in the engine computer or anything transmission related. That is normal.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you. We are getting a full diagnosis done tomorrow. Can I post questions about that at that point please?

You can continue to reply to this post at any time. Just simply responded I will get back to you and if things are busy for me at work or away from my computer I will get to you as soon as I get your reply. Even if you apply a rating of three or higher so that I am compensated for my time we can still continue the conversation.