Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

It is a 99 Toyota camry with a factory alarm system. The

Customer Question

it is a 99 Toyota camry with a factory alarm system. The battery was dead, as soon as I put the charger on it the alarm went off. The remote doesn't work when I pushed the red flashing button on the dash, nothing happens, I tried all of the solutions in the owners manual and they didn't work. I can't start the car because of the alarm. Any suggestions?
JA: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?
Customer: many times, this is fairly new. I bought camry new. and have changed battery ever 2 or 3 years
JA: Are you fixing your Camry yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am trying to do it myself. I also took the fuse out for the Horn/deterrant system and now all it does is the lights flash but still won't start.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: not that I can think of, Thanks
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Jared D replied 9 months ago.

If it's a factory toyota alarm try putting the key in the ignition and turn the key to run for 3 seconds then off 2 seconds then run 3 seconds then off 4 times. This should reset the factory alarm and make the horn stop honking.

If it's an aftermarket alarm it will depend on the alarm type. Can you tell if it is factory?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I believe it is factory because the alarm button in on the key. I have replaced it several times for over $100 each
Expert:  Jared D replied 9 months ago.

That sounds like a toyota factory alarm. Try turning the ignition on and off as described and let me know what it does.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I tried the above and it didn't help
Expert:  Jared D replied 9 months ago.

Does your car have a red blinking light next to the steering column?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
it does and I tried pushing it with the key on like I used to do and nothing happened
Expert:  Jared D replied 9 months ago.

My manual says "turn the key to run and then press the button twice".

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It just started so I guess the turning off & on 4 times must have done the trick. Thanks a lot
Expert:  Jared D replied 9 months ago.

Oh good. Alarms are a pain in the tail.

Please let me know if you need help in the future.

Expert:  Jared D replied 8 months ago.

Let me know if you still need help with this.

Please don't forget to rate.