Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.

I have a 2006 toyota highlander hybrid, the headlamps are

Customer Question

I have a 2006 toyota highlander hybrid, the headlamps are causing the outer casing to melt in front of the running lights on both sides. We have replaced the right assembly completely about 6 months ago due to an accident and both sides are now showing the front casing to be melting with about a 1 1/4" dia spot directly in front of the bulb. I have read of this issue with other vehicles and is covered by toyota, is this the same with the highlander?
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: It is the bulb light in the main headlamp housing that is in the round reflector on radiator of the lamp housing
JA: Are you fixing your Highlander Hybrid yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have not tried anything yet. I am seeing this to have just started over the past couple of weeks and need to know how to keep this from damaging the car further or if there is a voltage problem, what will need to be done
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

There is a bulletin to replace the head light assemblies with updated versions to keep this from occuring.It doesnt look like it is covered by Toyota unless the dealer can see a reason or see that the damage is bad enough they may be able to make a case to get it covered.

The bulletin number is ***** covers 06-07 Highlander HV and 04-07 Highlander models.

You would need to speak to a dealer on this to see if they can get it covered under any special warranty as they may be able to get this done.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete