Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

We changed the battery on a 2007 Toyota Tundra V6 BUT i

Customer Question

We changed the battery on a 2007 Toyota Tundra V6 BUT i hooked the terminals wrong and it honked at me in till i took the connection off. now with the new battery properly connected it idles inconsentently i can not put it in gear or make thr gas pedal work . Now when you start it the engine revs / relaxes in a steady pattern and the gearshift will not move. Some electrical is working, like hazards, dome light and headlights. Some is not working, like AC, radio, accessory lights. We tried unplugging and replugging the wires to the electrical box located on the passenger side.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Amedee replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question.

Expert:  Amedee replied 9 months ago.

The problem is a blown fuse or fuses. I guarantee it!

Expert:  Amedee replied 9 months ago.

Do you need me to tell you which fuses? (besides checking all of them)?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sounds funny for a fuse problem. What fuse affects the engine idling?
Expert:  Amedee replied 9 months ago.

Do the brake lights work?

Expert:  Amedee replied 9 months ago.

The ECU IG 1 7.5 amp fuse in the drivers side junction block

Expert:  Amedee replied 9 months ago.

The RAD 1 15 amp fuse in the drivers side junction block

Expert:  Amedee replied 9 months ago.

Which accessory lights are not working? What other electrical components are not working?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No the brake lights do not work.
So far all of the fuses seem to be fine. Still checking the others.
Expert:  Amedee replied 9 months ago.

There is a 15 amp STOP fuse that could have blown. It is located in the fuse block in the engine compartment left side

Expert:  Amedee replied 9 months ago.

I suspect there are going to be a lot of fuses that are blown.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
All of the fuses are fine. None are blown.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Is there a way to reboot the computer?
Expert:  Amedee replied 9 months ago.

You can try to disconnect the battery cables from the battery for about 10 minutes and then reconnect them back up

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
OK. I'll try it.
Expert:  Amedee replied 9 months ago.

Sounds good!

Expert:  Amedee replied 9 months ago.

If that does the trick, please dont forget to rate my answer as "excellent service".

If you still need more help after that, let me know so we can continue or I can leave this open for other experts to assist you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Still waiting.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
what could cause the gearshift to be stuck after changing a battery?
Expert:  Amedee replied 9 months ago.

The only thing I am aware of would be a blown fuse.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It is not a fuse. Unhooking the battery did not work.
Thanks for trying.
Expert:  Amedee replied 9 months ago.

Your welcome. Let me leave this question open for other Toyota experts. Someone should be with you shortly.

Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer and allowing me to assist you. The fuse you are looking for is a high amp fuse or fuse link as some may call it . it will be under the hood and in one of the fuse blocks , the larger ones with clear windows .main or alt or both. these blow to save the rest of the circuit when that happens. I will include a pic of what your looking for . If you require further assistance I'll be happy to do so. the pics are of two different fuse links that may be in your fuse block that needs to be checked guaranteed it's one of those blown.

Just checking in to see how your coming along with your problem and if I can be of further assistance ? Or if your happy with my answer please rate me.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Not a fuse as I said previously.

Thanx for getting back but it will be a fuse or fuse link, that's what is built into the system to protect major components. So if your satisfied all fuses big and small inside the cab and under the hood are ok there is built in harness fuse links attached to the battery cables . i'll give yo a pick of what to look for., also depending how long this was reversed foe the Ecu should be ok it's also protected by a diode b ut you may need to reset it by disconnecting the battery for a bout 10- 15 min and also if you have a code reader see if it set any pending codes . you may have to replace the battery wiring harness that contains those fuse able links I mentioned The ECU does not effect all those other systems you stated you have problems with, If you look at the battery cable ends that hook up to the battery you'll notice besides the heavy cable there should be other ones also those are the ones containing fuseable links that need to be replaced or checked.

Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 3 months ago.

just checking in to see how your doing/