Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

How do I access and remove the 120 amp ALT fuse from a 2013

Customer Question

How do I access and remove the 120 amp ALT fuse from a 2013 RAV4 fuse box?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer and allowing me to assist you. yes can be a pain in the butt to do, and unfortunately you have to remove the air box and some clamps on main harness to give you more flexibility. first of all disconnected the battery and remove it, next remove the 10mm nut on the front of the fuse block as seen in pic one, turn fuse block up side down and remove the bottom cover by releasing the side clips , then remove all connectors, from there you have to remove that center piece out then you can access the screws holding that fuse in and undo them , replace with good fuse and before putting everything back make sure nothing else was blown.Was this blown because was jumped backwards? Hope this helps you and If I can be of further assistance I'll be happy to do so.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Peter:I will give what you suggest a try. The picture is not the same as the 2013 RAV4 Limited we have, but I will give it a go. The fuse box I have has 3 other nuts and some sort of vertical metal electronic routing component hooked to the outside between the fuse box and the air box. Do you have any other suggestions or may I call you later if this does not workUnfortunately I did this to myself with a Yellow Top Optima model 26 battery that never should have been sold for this vehicle. Word to the wise, the O'Rielly oart store computer indicated that battery was for universal use, but clearly Optimia oversold their product as there was only one way the batter would fit into the car and the cables reach the poles. The unfortunate part is that I failed to triple check the poles on the battery prior to trying to connect the cable to ground pole.

the picture is for a basic unit but depending on your model and options may be slightly different but is still basically same just may be more nuts to remove, can you send me a pic of you fuse block that may help.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Peter:I released the air filter box and that gave some extra space. The fuse box is a sealed unit and the harness is so tight, even with the tie downs released, that I am unable to flip it over to see the bolts for the 120 amp ALT fuse link. However, I do not feel the bolts either. Removing the nut on the top did not release the tray holding the fuses. Any suggestions welcome. I was unable to attach my Photo as it licked up the system.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Peter:i was able to resize the photo I hope it is clear enough to use.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Peter:Maybe I should be asking how do I separate the top and bottom halves of the fuse box? What do you think? Charles

lol told you it was a pain , on the bottom plastic piece where it meets the box body there are clips you need to use a small screw driver to pry and release then that part will come off,then you need to disconnect all the connectors . In the mean time I'll see if i can find a pic of the rest.