sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

Fob won't unlock door; the key is inside car, Dont know how.

Customer Question

Fob won't unlock door; the key is inside car
JA: Have you checked the fob's battery?
Customer: Dont know how. We are at airport
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: Avalon 14
JA: Are you fixing your Avalon yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing yet
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thx
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

I see that your question has been up for an extended time so I'm assuming you have gotten into the car. If not then there are a couple good options.

The problem may just be a dead battery in the fob. It would be a good idea to start by testing or replacing the fob battery.

If that doesn't help then the battery could be dead or the fob may have failed, or there could be a deeper issue with the keyless entry system. Any of these would require unlocking the door manually.

One way would be a lockout kit such as this one. This has an inflatable bag and wedge to pull the door away from the frame slightly to insert a rod and open the door. Most towing services will have this and would be able to open the door for you.

Another thing you can do is have a locksmith or dealer cut a key using the VIN. Prices will vary depending on where you go but my dealer charges just $10 for this.