Pedro Goncalves
Pedro Goncalves,
Experience:  Licensed Master/Hybrid Technician at Mendes Motors

The key would not turn the ignition switch, then key would

Customer Question

the key would not turn the ignition switch, then key would not come out of switch. Upon attempting to move shift lever back and forth, broke the metal coupling which holds the shift lever
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: eventually found that a tumbler or two, in the switch, had broken, trapping the keyh in the switch.. we have removed the switch and can install another but now I have to figure out how to fix what I broke , on the side of the steering column that holds the shift lever
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 1998 avalon
JA: Are you fixing your Avalon yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: trying to. my son has pulled out switch an installed another and if we hold our mouths right we can start the car by using the original key, which gets past security then quickly inserting new ket and starting engine. But the shift lever is torn off the colkumn and we can shift the transmission by attaching pliers to portion of shifter
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No sir, I plan to get a new switch from a toyota dealer that will use my original keys and also disable the security light as normal . I have no idea what the piece is that I broke which holds the shift lever or what to buy to replace it. and how to replace it. Am I making sense
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Pedro Goncalves replied 1 month ago.
From what I understand. Now you just need to replace the shifter assembly. The shifting is done by cables. And the lock mechanism should work normally because it receives the signal from the ECM. I would recommend going to a scrap yard. No point on spending $300 or more just for the shifter. I hope I asked your question. Please, don't forget to rate me. Best of luck. Thank you. If I haven't answered your question, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't think I have articulated my problem in a very clear and concise manner, partly because I do not know what these broken parts are called. I was hoping for a good exploded parts diagram.
I think we have the info we need for replacing the ignition switch. The following is what I need:The gear shift lever, which is on the steering column, fits into slot on a piece that rotates when you move the shift lever. This is an automatic transmission. The shift lever fits into this slot and is held in place be a pin, which passes through a hole in the outside of this fitting and through a hole in the gearshift lever. Inside this piece, that rotates and holds the shift lever, is a hole that holds a coil spring. This piece, that I'm referring to as the piece that holds the shift lever and rotates, has been broken. Pushing up on the shift lever, with excessive force, has broken the top half off of this piece which the shift lever fits into. What is this part called? What do i need to replace it, and, How do i remove the broken part and install the new piece that I can then insert the shift lever, handle, knob ,or what ever it may be called, and then pin it into place?
Can you please provide me with the VIN of the vehicle? I can provide you with the exploded parts diagram. Unfortunately, only on Tuesday. When you indicate the broken part then I will be able you assist you better. Is that okay?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
that is OK.VIN 4T1BF18B2WU215444Thank you.Mike

I'm sorry for the late reply. Unfortunately, I was injured and I not returning to work until next week. I apologize for this unforeseen incident. I will opt out so someone else can help you.

Thank you once again