KALAMYKID
KALAMYKID, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY QUESTION CORECTLY.
5629372

2000 tacoma sr5 manual 4wd 2.7 liter with 260k,Orig owner.

Customer Question

2000 tacoma sr5 manual 4wd 2.7 liter with 260k,Orig owner. throwing p0402 excessive flow code, have replaced throttle position sensor, upstream o2, ultrasonic cleaned the throttle body, replaced idle air control valve from Auto zone (could be a mistake, I may need to test it, new MAFsensor and double checked all vacuum lines. Idle improved to around 850 when iac valve was replaced. Idles rough now at 850, this is the only code it's throwing. Suspect faulty /melted cat causing back pressure issues, or failing vsv. Can you help?
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Orig idle was around 15-1800rpm before iac changed out. I really need to diagnose this to get it smogged. Thank you
Expert:  KALAMYKID replied 3 months ago.

Have you checked to see if the egr is stuck open?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Egr seems to operate normally and can be controlled with the diag computer at Napa

Do you have california emissions on this truck?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Calif emissions

What where you told this code is for?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have an obd reader. P0402 egr excessive flow

Ok then we need to find out why the egr valve is letting to much flow through. The first thing you should do is pull the egr valve off and see if there is any carbon holding the egr valve open.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok I'm about to go to bed. I'm pretty good mechanically and I do my own maintenance. I have an ohm meter. I can pull the egr valve, it's right behind the throttle body, is it OK to ultrasonic clean it? Please give me a rundown of what I need to do. I'm on pacific time, I'll respond at 1130 am. Thank you so much in advance

Yes you can clean it. BUt you need to know if you have constant vacuum to the egr valve, if the egr valve is stuck open, or if the spring in the valve has gotten weak and not holding the valve shut while driving.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Can I suck on the top vacuum hose on the egr? Shouldn't that kill the engine? Or cause it to hesitate? It's a trick I saw my Hispanic neighbors do to verify an egr valve functions.. Am I crazy? Or use a vacuum pump obviously?

That will tell you if it will open more then it i, but not tell you if it is fully closing.

You can use a vacuum pump once it is off to see how much pressure it takes to open the valve as well. It should take at least 15 in. of pressure to start to open, any thing under that and the spring inside is to week to hold it closed.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok thanks. I'm off to bed, hopefully you can tell me more by morning. I'll get a vacuum test kit tomorrow as well. Thanks so much. Also any way to access the vsv? Testing for that? Thanks. Gnite

I will look that info up for you and we can go over that once the egr valve has been cleaned and tested.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm not satisfied.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I need follow up info after testing egr valve
Expert:  KALAMYKID replied 2 months ago.

What have you found? Did you clean the egr?