Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer

I'm working on a flooded 01 has the black cover

Customer Question

Hi I'm working on a flooded 01 has the black cover on side of tb,can I replace the round cylinode on inside? The hole tb is pretty prisy.after I got water out of rest truckit will run but not idle.Thanks ahead for any help!
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer and allowing me to assist you. Just to clarify something? What do you mean has the black cover on side of tb? whats that? Also do you need further help in any thing els seeing it was under that much water?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
01 4runner have 2 different throttlebodys.I have the one that's has the black cover over I hope this is last thing to fix on it.when I s tarted work on truck the butterfly was locked closed.I forced open then it started cover is on left side of throttlebody.I guess that is were iac is.I cleaned maf senser too.

well the map sensor is sealed so cleaning the tip is good but the other item is not and may have to be replaced.Just a question , did you replace all fluids oil, trans,all diffs and transfer case, power strg?

If you require further assistance I;ll be happy to do so.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
sir icleared pistons ,trany ,fuel systum.etc.I've been shad tree mechanic for 20 years.I never messed with this kind of throttlebody.I'll just replace that deal on side of tb.then I'll move on to new coil packs.thanks.

yes that's good but lets go back a bit I was just reviewing what you mentioned here what you did so far. so my next questions are these.does it turn over and try to fire does it run at all?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It runs good , misses a little.problem is it serges between800 rpm to 1100 have to press gas for it to crank though.that's not right so that's why I'm want to replace what ever controls the butterfly when ideling.

yes then your on the right track try that it's very logical.