scionking
scionking, Toyota Expert
Experience:  5 YRS EXP. ASE MASTER CERTIFIED/ TOYOTA MASTER CERTIFIED
26789525

Trying to remove ignition switch to install new switch and

Customer Question

trying to remove ignition switch to install new switch and key on 2003 4 runner limited. where is the pin to release assembly/
JA: Has the car been stalling out?
Customer: no need to replace complete with new key and switch. tumblers are worn out key is very loose
JA: What is the model of your '03 Toyota?
Customer: 4 runner limited*****
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes. cant see the pin you push to pull out assembly with key in acc
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no just where the pin I push is located at
Category: Toyota
Expert:  scionking replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** give me a minute to look this up and see if I can find you a picture.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
please send picture to my email. THANKS ....JIM
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
HAVE TO STEP OUT OF OFFICE , YOU CAN ALSO POST HERE ON THIS ALSO.

See attached, this picture is with the cylinder on a bench, so it is upside down from what it would be in the vehicle.

If I have answered your question please be so kind as to accept my answer and rate the level of service provided. If you have any follow up questions I'd be more than happy to help. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Just checking in to see if you still need assistance with this? If I have answered your question please be so kind as to accept my answer and rate the level of service provided. If you have any follow up questions I'd be more than happy to help. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Does not have a hole on mine. Like your pic show.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Here is my ignition
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Your answer does not work on mine

Yes it does, remove the micro switch, If I remember correctly it is under the micro switch. The picture I sent you shows the micro switch removed.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I tried to remove that switch only moves about 1/8 inch and stops. I don't want to break it, is their a trick I need to know on how to remove micro switch with out damaging it? Thanks ... JIM

Can you send me a good picture of the micro switch and the surrounding area on the bracket? Since I don't have this exact one in front of me I'm trying to remember. The picture I sent you was right out of the manual for this exact vehicle so it is there. Do you have the whole thing still installed in the vehicle?

I'm looking in the repair manual at this picture again, and maybe the orientation of the picture I sent you is in fact right side up. See attached pictures the second picture in this one locks like the micro switch is on the opposite side of the ignition bracket. The micro switch cant be removed until the ignition cylinder is removed according to this. So send me a picture so I can tell, this is leading me to be live that it is on top then, 180 degrees from the micro switch