Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

Ted, I was asking you about my car not starting yesterday

Customer Question

Hi Ted, I was asking you about my car not starting yesterday and you suggested I start with the starter relay in the fuse box. I looked in my fuse box and I wasn't sure if one of these relays are it. This is what's in my fuse box: (engine main relay, EFI main relay, headlight control relay, fan relay, EFI system, battery charger, head lamp, hazard horn, RTR, radio). If any of these relays aren't it do you know where else it may be located in the car? I haven't changed it in 30 years!!!
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 7 months ago.

Let me check to see if it's somewhere else, I'll get back to you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Thanks!

Been a long time since I had to deal with a corolla of this vintage, guess what? There is no starter relay, the wire from the switch goes directly to the starter solenoid. This is a manual trans, right? I'm kind of wondering now if the ignition switch could be the problem.

Just another thing for you to try, disconnect the small wire from the starter solenoid and run a jumper wire directly from the battery to the solenoid, make sure it's out of gear and the key is off, see if this helps, if not the starter is the problem

I'll be offline for about 5 hours and I will check back with you later.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Thanks again Ted! I'll give it a try.

Ok, good luck.