Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

I have a 1999 Toyota Camry 4 cyl. I turn the engine off, get

Customer Question

I have a 1999 Toyota Camry 4 cyl. I turn the engine off, get out, go into the house, come back out an hour later and the radio is on. It also drained the battery overnight.
I have a new battery and have changed the Ignition Switch but the problem persists.
I've checked all of the fuses behind the coin tray and under the hood. All of those are good.
What could be the problem?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

It sounds like your radio has failed. Remove radio and check to see if the grey wire at pin 2 of radio connector has voltage, if not then replace radio. Let me know if you have more questions. Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Dan,
This is been going on for a week. I have disconnected my battery to keep from draining it every night.
It's driving me nuts.
Please help.
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

It sounds like your radio has failed. Remove radio and check to see if the grey wire at pin 2 of radio connector has voltage, if not then replace radio. The ignition switch provides radio power when key is on with this wire, if it doesn't have power that would mean radio has failed. Let me know if you have more questions. Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The radio works fine. It just comes back on by itself.
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

I know, that would be caused by the radio failing. The radio senses ignition power then turns out. If the circuit that senses power has failed it will cause this problem. Let me know if you have questions, Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
OK, if it's not that. Can you think of anything else that would cause this?
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

I'm giving it about a 99% radio is problem if not the grey wire is shorted to power somewhere which is very unlikely but testing wire for power with key off will tell you for sure. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your time Dan.
Have a great day!!!
Jay
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

No problem, let me know if you need anything. You can reply to this answer at any time without additional fees. Thanks again and have a good day also!