Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer

I have a 2002 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Pickup single door

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Pickup single door with power locks. the passenger door lock works but the driver door lock knob rises about half way and stops. It cannot be pulled and the inside handle will not open it. I have tried to get the passenger door apart using the expensive Toyota manual but there are not two screws in the inside latch but one. The inside panel will not come off unless the inside handle is off. Even if I get it apart I question if it is possible to get to the driver side lock mechanism without cutting apart the inside panel. Help!
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

1- no it is not possible to remove the lock with out the inside panel removed unfortunately

2- below is the direction to remove panel

Let me know if you need anything else on it ,just reply back & we can continue

if you are good , Please Kindly rate me.

Hope I was helpful to you

A Positive Rating is Much Appreciated

This Post Will Stay Open for You To Come back and Ask me Any Follow Up Question You May have on this issue , even after you rate me

Thank You

Chad Farhat

2002 Toyota Truck Tacoma PreRunner Reg Cab 2WD L4-2.7L (3RZ-FE)

1. w/o Power window: REMOVE REGULATOR HANDLE Pull off the snap ring with a cloth and remove the regulator handle and plate. HINT: At the time of reassembly, install the plate and regulator handle with the snap ring when the window glass is fully closed. 2. REMOVE DOOR INSIDE HANDLE

a. Remove the screw and slide the handle forward. b. Disconnect the handle from the control link and remove the handle. 3. REMOVE DOOR TRIM

a. Remove the 2 caps and 2 screws. b. Using a screwdriver, remove the door trim upward then disconnect the connectors.

c. w/ Power window: Using a screwdriver, pry the forward of armrest panel and remove the panel. d. w/ Tweeter speaker: Remove the 2 screws and tweeter speaker. 4. REMOVE FRONT SPEAKER Disconnect the connector, remove the 5 screws and speaker. 5. REMOVE SERVICE HOLE COVER Disconnect the wire harness and remove the 2 grommets and service hole cover. HINT: At the time of reassembly, bring out the link and connector through the service hole cover. 6. REMOVE OUTER REAR VIEW MIRROR

a. w/ Remote control: Remove the cover and disconnect the connector. b. w/o Remote control: Remove the screw, lever and cover. c. Remove the 3 nuts and outer rear view mirror.

7. REMOVE OUTER WEATHERSTRIP Using a screwdriver, remove the outer weatherstrip and 3 clips. 8. REMOVE GLASS RUN 9. REMOVE DOOR GLASS

a. Open the door glass until the 2 bolts of the window glass appear in the service hole. b. Remove the 2 bolts and door glass. Torque: 5.0 N.m (50, 43 in.lbf) 10. REMOVE FRONT LOWER FRAME a. Remove the bolt, nut and front lower frame. b. Remove the lower glass run. 11. REMOVE REAR LOWER FRAME a. Remove the bolt, nut, and rear lower frame. b. Remove the lower glass run. 12. REMOVE WINDOW REGULATOR a. w/o Power window: Remove the 5 bolts and regulator. Torque: 5.0 N.m (50, 43 in.lbf) b. w/ Power window: Disconnect the connector and remove the 6 bolts and window regulator. Torque: 5.0 N.m (50, 43 in.lbf)

HINT: At the time of reassembly, apply MP grease to the window regulator rollers. NOTE: At the time of reassembly, do not apply grease to the spring of the window regulator. 13. REMOVE DOOR LOCK a. Disconnect the 2 links from the outside handle. b. w/ Power door lock: Disconnect the connector. c. Remove the 3 screws and door lock. Torque: 5.0 N.m (50, 43 in.lbf) HINT: - At the time of reassembly, please refer to following items. - Apply adhesive to the 3 screws.

- Apply MP grease to the sliding and rotating parts of the door lock. 14. REMOVE OUTSIDE HANDLE a. Remove the 2 bolts. Torque: 5.0 N.m (50, 43 in.lbf) b. Remove the lock cylinder. REASSEMBLY Reassembly is in the reverse order of disassembly procedure.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I thought I made it clear that the door is closed and locked. How can I get it opened?

I m not sure what you can do if it is locked , I will open up the question for you for another expert maybe they know what you can do in this situation , I dont know that one Carl , sorry . I will opt out .

Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer and allowing me to assist you. that can be a bummer when that happens but there are a few things you can try to at least open the door so you can proceed to repair the cause. You can remove the interior handle garish that will allow you to slide it out far enogh to get to the release rods and apply a pair of needle nose pliers on them to move them back and forth to try and open the door , but before you do roll the window all the way down so you can see the latch with a light so you can spray it with some penetrating oil and let sit for about 15 - 20 mins then work the release rods back and forth .If that fails the only other recourse is to call auto club or lock smith, they have special tools that slide down between the class and panel to release the latch. here is a pic of the garish you need to remove.Hope this helps your problem.