Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

I have a 2002 Toyota 4Runner base model. 3.4 v6. Two days

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Toyota 4Runner base model. 3.4 v6. Two days ago the abs, break light, and VCs light came on along with a loud alarm noise that starts as soon as you turn the key forward. When I drive it the breaks fluctuate from super stiff and hard to stop to normal, but all the lights and alarm are on none stop. I had it scanned and these are the following codes.
C0278- open or short circuit in ABS solenoid relay circuit.
C1223- ABS control system malfunction.
C1225 - open or short in hydraulic brake booster solenoid Circuit. (SMFR/SA1/SMC/SMFL/SMR/SMC1/SMC2/SBAR).
I am praying I don't have to replace the abs, break booster, master cylinder unit..
The morning of the second day all the lights and alarms stopped , but after a few miles of driving it all came back.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 3 months ago.

Do you have the VIN available? If you clear the codes do they come right back?

Did you replace the calipers or did you just replace the brake pads? Did you have the hydraulic system open at all?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The code was cleared and came right back. Note the check Engine light is not on. Just the others. JT3GN86R020252455.

Were any of these codes there prior to doing the brake pads? And just to clarify did you have the hydraulic system opened up or did you bleed the brakes in any way or had the calibers off in any way?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
All of this happened before I replaced the frog break pads. I didn't not touch the hydraulic system. I just replace the pads thinking that the brake sensor an alarm might be going off because the front pads were starting to get low
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Front break pads. Sorry not frog

OK standby.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Pictures of scan

OK standby.

Does that launch scan tool that you have do active testing of ABS components?

Do you have access to any diagnostic flowcharts for the specific codes?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am not sure , let me check with the person that scanned it for me. One sec
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
P.s I did have him check the battery and alternator during the scan

Okay I'm just checking on the possible scenarios as to what could be going on this has the large nitrogen booster and monstrosity of a master cylinder high dollars if it failed. Unfortunately :-(

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No the scanner dose to live testing for activitie testing of abs components. He dose not have flow charts. The name of the scanner is mac103 handheld

Does the 60 amp ABS1 fuse have power to it or is that fuse blown? This would be in the fuse box under the hood is a large box type fuse.

It might be easier to get this information to you via telephone and off-site communication. It comes with our premium service. I will submit that offer to you and you can accept it at any time if you want to do that.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I would like to do the phone call but I can't pay the $36 and the extra $26 for the phone call. The all happened Friday and I am scheduled to start a new job tomorrow that is a***** If I have to order that abs, booster, master all in one part I am going to have to order it online and it will take days to get here. Bad situation
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I did check all electronic wires that plug into the all in one system to make sure the connection was good and look for any visible wire damage

I understand the difficult situation that you're in. Did you check the 60 amp ABS1 fuse?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I don't have any tools where I am or know of a way to check it. any suggestions ?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
This one ?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have someone here checking the fuse now

Yes on the ABS SOL Relay The 60amp fuse is in the other box, Okay here's the deal. The C0278 code and the C1225 code are your primary malfunctions here. The other code is just a generic ABS warning failure code. The ABS SOL relay in the fuse block is powered up by the 60 amp ABS1 fuse. The first code that you have 278 means that the computer did not see power across that relay to the hydraulic brake booster. Or the skid control ECU. This could be a bad ABS SOL relay or the power supply to that relay. The other code 1225 could be setting by default because if you have a power loss it also feeds power to the hydraulic brake booster to circuit SA1. SA1 in the hydraulic brake booster goes to pin number four of connector V-10. It then goes to the coil windings to activate the solenoids and goes out connector V 12 pin 12 a black wire with the red tracer over to the skid control ECU pin number two connector V 16 or terminal SA1. All that to say that the computer does not see a power input to pin number two at the skid control ECU terminal SA1. Click this link and save the picture it will time out.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Fuse looks good from the eyeball. Sent picture

The fuse is good I would think it has 12 V going to it otherwise you have much more serious problems. This only means that the relay itself could be malfunctioning or the power and ground supply to it from the ABS actuator. Without doing specific voltage pin checks at the hydraulic brake booster connectors I indicated and the skid control ECU there's no way to know for certain whether it's a power supply issue a control issue or you just have a defective hydraulic booster. The systems are extremely difficult to diagnose in this type of format. I sent you the illustration that will help you to find the correct pin the color coding wires you can understand how the system works and why the codes are setting.