Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I have a 2000 corolla the cd player is showing Err3, try to

Customer Question

I have a 2000 corolla the cd player is showing Err3
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: try to eject cd but nothing happens
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 3 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Before we begin, please advise of the following:

1) is this a multiple CD player?

2) what disc (or discs) are in it (store bought or home-made)?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it is a 6 stacker don't know whats in it as just brought car 2nd hand
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
that is all I know

Ok. The ERR 3 code indicates that the internal mechanism cannot detect a CD in one of the slots, 2 cds are in the same slot, or there is an issue with the Cds (scratched/warped/label peeling off, etc).

What we do when we see this issue is this:

Remove the CD player from the dashboard so you can disconnect all of the wires from the back of the CD unit. One the wires are disconnected, let the unit sit for a few moments.

Turn the key on (so the dash warning lights come on) and reattach the wires to the back of the CD unit. Immediately press the eject button repeatedly. Removing the wires erases the 'memory' of what CDs are in the changer. Pressing the eject button as soon as it is reconnected usually (about 90% of the time) kicks out the offending CD that is causing the ERR 3. Once these CDs are out, inspect them for any damage. I would not re-use these CDs back into the play if there is any warpage, they are home-made, excessively scratched, etc. These units are very pick when it comes to CDs. Home-made CDs cause this problem quite often.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
thank you I will try

Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you. I trust my input is satisfactory and meets your expectations. A positive rating for my assistance on your request would be greatly appreciated; thanks again and have a great day