Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

The 4x4 light is solid on our 2004 4 runner. We just

Customer Question

The 4x4 light is solid on our 2004 4 runner. We just replaced the front different assembly and right front axel shafts due to damage from driving with the 4x4 locking up. Our mechanic hoes not know how to clear this up.
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: On the dash the 4x4 light is on.
JA: What is the model of your '04 Toyota?
Customer: Sport
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: After spending $2000 on repairs, the shop wants to check it with a computer. I think it is an actuator that has gone bad.
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: I see the statement above. Would that apply to an 2004 sport as well?
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The shop sent the car home after I paid them. The problem still exists. They don't really know what to do.
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
4.7 v8
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer and allowing me to assist you.This is a relative easy way to isolate the problem by disconnecting the connector at actuator if it goes out then you found it but if it don't then you have to trace it back to the switch. hope this gives you some direction where to start. if you need further assistance I'll be happy to do so. the switch or*****indicator switch is located on the transfer case. I'll include some pics that may help. If you require further assistance I'll be happy to do so.