Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

I have a 2011 Toyota corolla and cannot get it out of park.

Customer Question

I have a 2011 Toyota corolla and cannot get it out of park. Also, the ABS and slipping light is on.
JA: Is it just the ABS light? Or is the brake system warning light on, too?
Customer: Both
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing, I was going to call AAA
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Nothing, the car just had the maintenance done. Everything was okay.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 3 months ago.

what maintenance did you just have done and was it done by the dealer? When you depress the brake pedal do the brake lights come on?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it was done by the dealer. The regular maintenance oil change, etc. I don't know, I am not with the car. The car is at the metro station. I am going back in ten minutes

If the brake light switch is not working it will trigger the warning lights and you will have no brake lights however you can still get it out of the park. Next to the shifter there is a small plastic cover that pops out with a small screwdriver. If you're not sure where this is that look in your owners manual it has an illustration. Use that small screwdriver to then push down on the detent inside that little hole and firmly push on the brake and this will allow you to get it out of park. If the engine starts and runs at least you can get it out of the Metro station area and to a facility that can check the brake lights in the brake light switch and run a code test of the ABS system to find out what code would be set in the computer. Let me know how this goes or if you need additional input.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am with the cat, when I step on the brakes, there is no lights.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am sorry, I am with the car

This means the stop light switch is defective or the 10 amp stop fuse which is located in the fuse box up on the left side of the instrument panel could be blown. Pop the cover off identify that fuse by looking inside the lid of the fuse cover and pull the fuse replace it with a spare just as a precaution see if you hear a click noise if the fuse blows instantly when you put it back in something you shorted. Otherwise it's possible you have a bad stop light switch remove the cover by the shifter to get it out of park at least you can get it home or to a repair facility to have them check it. With the brake lights not working it will trigger these other lights and keep the shifter from coming out of park. Let me know if you need any additional information. Please not forget to rate the assistance I provided you at three or higher. I will submit a premium service or additional service for a phone consultation if you get into trouble and need to discuss this matter over the phone you can accept that offer at any time or just let it expire.