Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

1998 Tacoma 4x4 131K Mi. Sometimes the key will not start or

Customer Question

1998 Tacoma 4x4 131K Mi. Sometimes the key will not start or even turn over motor. After 5-6 tries it will start as normal. Now, when I turn key into start position the horn comes on and stays on until I turn the key off.
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: Steering wheel is OK and key is fine. I thought it was the starter but the starter shouldn't honk the horn.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Havent done anything yet
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No. This truck has always been dependable.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 2 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.working after noon till just after midnight.

• Sorry no one has helped yet.
  • Yes, you have been charged already.
  • Yes, I am aware of the time you asked your question and time I am responding.
  • I will be online a couple more hours after this post.
  • This is not an answer to your question, just an inquiry if your still needing/wanting help. Because I believe I can help.
  • A failure with the immobilizer system can be to blame here.
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 month ago.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am following up with you to see if you got everything you needed from my answer. We're you pleased with my help?
  • If you were not pleased with my help, please let me know by replying so I can help more.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris