scionking
scionking, Toyota Expert
Experience:  5 YRS EXP. ASE MASTER CERTIFIED/ TOYOTA MASTER CERTIFIED
26789525

My 100 Series 1998 Land Cruiser Petrol / LPG runs ok on LPG

Customer Question

My 100 Series 1998 Land Cruiser Petrol / LPG runs ok on LPG and has started mis firing on petrol
Category: Toyota
Expert:  scionking replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer, my name is***** you have a check engine light on and have you checked the codes if you do have one on?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
no
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
When driving on LPG at say 50 t0 60 MPH and switching to Petrol it runs ok for a while but when you back off starts to miss fire and if you stop it will not Idle and the engine stops

If you start it on petrol, will it idle?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
This morning I just started the engine Dead Cold running but ruff. Notice excess fuel smell from exhaust like full choke.Engine stopped when I took my foot off the accelerator pedal.Starts up OK on LPG and Idles OK

Have the basics been checked? I know it seems to run fine on petrol but have you checked spark plugs and the ignition boots on the plugs? Related to the fuel system, have you check the fuel filter. How is your fuel quality where you live, is it possible the fuel filter is plugged? Can you take a fuel sample to confirm there is no contamination?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The Engine only runs OK on LPG , not on Petrol, please re read my advice above.New Spark Plugs have been fitted and a new fuel filter. Only using the Reserve Fuel Tank and fresh 98 Octane Petrol.

Yes sorry I meant to type Propane instead of Petrol.

I would recommend a few things.

Take a fuel pressure reading.

Preform a cylinder balance test to try and identify if one specific cylinder is misfiring, now this will require the use of a computer that can read exact rpm. monitor the rpm as you remove one fuel injector connector at a time, the cylinder that has no effect on rpm, or the lowest effect on rpm is the suspected misfiring cylinder

Expert:  scionking replied 6 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you still need assistance with this? If I have answered your question please be so kind as to accept my answer and rate the level of service provided. If you have any follow up questions I'd be more than happy to help. Thank you for using Just Answer.