Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic

Car a/c stopped blowing cold gradually. One side seems

Customer Question

Car a/c stopped blowing cold gradually. One side seems warmer than the other. It's not hot & at times is colder than room temperature
JA: How many miles are on the car? Have you checked the coolant level?
Customer: 83000
JA: What is the model of your '81000 Toyota?
Customer: 2005
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Checked freon but gauge was in the red. Not a professional gauge either
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: One I picked up at auto zone
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 2 months ago.

You mentioned that this is a 2005 but what model? Is it a Camry? Is it a four-cylinder or V-6? When you say the gauges went into the red zone do you have any psi reading and was is on the high side or low side?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Don't remember the gauges. V6
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What was the 5$ for?

Without seeing the exact pressures on the gauges it's hard to give you a definitive answer however based on your description with partial cooling or one side of the dash cooling more than the other side 90% of the time this means that the refrigerant level is low in the system. However you mentioned that the gauge was in the high or red zone that's on the low side that means the system is not circulating the refrigerant properly possibly a compressor issue not bringing down the low side to about 32 psi. My recommendation would be to add enough refrigerant to get the low side on the small gauge that comes with the charge kit down to about 35 psi at 2000 RPM. Paul gauge on the device that you got the parts store that would put it in the Green zone. To reply to the five dollar question that is simply a deposit that is put to your charge card to account for the question. You've not been charged for the question until you apply rating of three or higher if you're satisfied with the information that I have given you. That is just a transaction fee to ensure that the payment can be made once you accept the answer.