Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

When i turn the truck off I can pull the key out of the

Customer Question

when i turn the truck off I can pull the key out of the ignition and the truck keeps running and will not shut off
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: 2013 tundra less than 30000 miles. Key is not worn not sure of steering wheel will turn but it will not shift into gear
JA: Are you fixing your Tundra yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Took it to dealer they unplugged a bunch of wires and said it is working. Did not find the problem and can't tell me what they unplugged
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: just trying to figure out what would cause this to happen
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer and allowing me to assist you. Too bad the dealer didn't tell you what they did what are they trying to hide? any way lets do this together.Is this still happening and does it do it all the time or intermittent? What I would do first is take the cover where the ignition switch is off so you can access the wire connector to the ignition switch and disconnect it. If the engine shuts off then the switch is faulty because you have eliminated the rest. try that and if you need further assistance I'll be happy to do so.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
no they said it has not done it since they unplugged a bunch of wires. can't tell me what they unplugged

oh boy that don't help, so now it's ok and not doing it any more? I would demand to know what they done it;s your right to know.I am a Toyota master tech and we have to relate any work done to a customer what we performed on there vehicle. So does every thing else work as well?