Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

1997 T100 appears to have an alarm system problem.....can't

Customer Question

1997 T100 appears to have an alarm system problem.....can't start the engine or disarm the secure key
JA: Have you tried locking and unlocking the driver's side door using the key itself?
Customer: yes
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have owned the truck for 18 years and have always been able to disarm by pressing the unlock on key fob and also pressing the alarm sensor, but that doesn't work now. I replaced the batter in the key fob as well.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I would like to disconnect the alarm system.....how do I do that?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer and allowing me to assist you. Question to give me a picture of what we are dealing with, is this system an aftermarket or factory Toyota installed unit?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Factory installed

Hello again, I see you replaced the key fob battery. but did you check the vehicle's battery lately for if it's not supplying enough power to the systems they won't work properly.A low battery can trigger remote starters and anti theft devices to work or do funny things . as all computer devises go garbage in garbage out,So first of all do a load test on your vehicles battery and let me know so we can go further if necessary Hope this helps and if you need further assistance I'll be happy to do so..

hello again , just to repeat a question , did you check your battery load test? the alarm system will disable it from starting but if the battery is low or not holding a good charge that will by itself trigger the alarm system do a battery load test and get back to me