Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified

Today my trac off and check engine light came on. I'm

Customer Question

Today my trac off and check engine light came on. I'm experiencing no problems with the car mechanically it's driving well. My maintenance light came as well but it's time for my oil change.
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: It's solid
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 2013 Toyota corolla
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm just curious right now because I haven't been having any trouble. I looked online and saw some things such as gas caps and how you top off gas could be the problem. I did get gas this morning. I re closed the gas cap. I've also seen that weather such as heavy rain or going through mud can do this as well. No mud but it did rain heavily in my area yesterday I drove
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for posting,

The light is most likely related to an emission control issue, is it possible the gas cap was not all the way tight after getting gas? If it was just tightening it won't turn the light off you have to reset it, be sure the cap is on tight, remove the negative cable from the battery for about a minute, then see if the light turns back on after driving for a while, if it does you can just go t any of the autoparts stores like Autozone or o Reilly, Advance auto and they will help you check for diagnostic codes. Keep in mind that most emission control problems ae covered for at least 3 years or 36,000 or up to 80,000 miles in some cases, so the dealer visit may be an option for you but be aware that they will charge a diagnostic fee of around $100 and if it's not covered under warranty you'll have to pay the fee plus any repairs necessary. Before doing anything you can get the diagnostic codes like I said then come back here and I'll help you with what should be done.