Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician
Experience:  Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine
17930070

I own a 2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid (74000 miles) which

Customer Question

I own a 2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid (74000 miles) which has been a great car so far. Yesterday, a local Santa Fe, NM Toyota dealership mechanic said the water pump on my car is leaking (I haven't noticed a leak on ground). Since this is a serious problem, wouldn't I receive notice from my car's computer stating the car has a problem and I should go to a dealer right away? I haven't received any such notice and wonder why and the next step to take. It's Sunday and no dealerships are open in New Mexico with whom I can discuss this issue; I was told it takes 5 hrs to replace the water pump at a cost of $800.00 + tax. Please advise.
Thanks
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today and am sorry to hear that this is happening. I will have to ask you a few questions so that I can get a better understanding as to what may be going on with your Highlander Hybrid.

Since you haven't seen any fluids on the ground, underneath your vehicle, it can't be too serious. Did they take you out to the vehicle and show you where it was leaking?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
They did NOT show me anything.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
More questions for me? What do you recommend?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I expected more information than this for $28.00

I'm sorry for the delay. By asking questions I just want to be sure that I get a full understanding of what is going on with your vehicle. Is the coolant level topped off now? How low was the coolant when they recommended replacing the waterpump?

wouldn't I receive notice from my car's computer stating the car has a problem and I should go to a dealer right away?

No, not unless the engine started to overheat. It doesn't sound like the leak is that bad yet.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I don't know how low the coolant was when I took the car to the dealer but they did top it off.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm out of time but would appreciate anymore info you have for me. thanks

Thanks again. This particular engines water pump do tend to seap coolant. (Notice I said seap and not leak.) Leak is where the fluid hits the ground and you can see it. A seap is just like moisture, visable but not running down the side/front of the engine.

A leak needs to be fixed now while a seap can wait.

I can tell you from my years of working on this engine, you have plenty of time before you have to get this fixed. Remember that this is a Hybrid vehicle so the engine doesn't run all the time.

The quote of $800 does seem a bit high and would be cheaper if performed through an Independent Repair shop. If you have another Toyota Dealer in town, just ask them for a price quote and mention that the first Dealer said that they'd do it for $750. That little fib will save you money because the second Dealer will almost always be the first Dealers quote just to get the work into the shop. This happens all the time.

Does this make sense?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks very much for your reply.

Do you have any other questions or concern for me today? I am here to help as much as you need.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
This was informative and helpful..thanks.

My pleaseure and thank you for allowing me to help you. If you have more questions, please ask as I strive to give Excellent service. Also please take the time to rate my help (1-5 stars), as it helps me as I have just helped you.