Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

My car won't start. I put a new battery, water pump and

Customer Question

My car won't start. I put a new battery, water pump and alternator on it. I also changed the spark plugs. The water pump went out on me while I was driving and it hasn't started up since then.
JA: How many miles are on the car? When did you last change the plugs?
Customer: I changed the plugs a week ago and there are 105,437 miles on it.I had the fuel pump checked and it's working.
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: It's a Toyota Rav4, Base model.
JA: What year is your RAV4?
Customer: 2011
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. I have changed the water pump,alternator, and battery.I also changed the spark plugs.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: This issue happened after the water pump failed and I replaced it with a new one. Also, when I attempt to start it, everything on the serpentine belt spins.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer and allowing me to assist you. Question to get a better picture of what I'm dealing with.did you replace the water pump or a shop?

did you have to remove the timing belt to do it?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I changed it myself. No, I only removed the alternator and serpentine belt.

Hello again, well if it ran before the work was done I would suspect the crank sensor or wiring to it as it goes down to the front of the crank shaft in that area.I would suggest that you remove the alternator and check the wiring that goes down to the sensor, because it needs a crank signal to start.hope this helps and if you need further assistance I'll be happy to do so.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Would it be the crank sensor even though everything turns, the alternator, a.c. and crankshaft?

Yes can be either the sensor or wiring to it the crank sensor doesn't effect the cranking of the engine but does have to be there to fire. It just makes sense if it ran before the job and now it don't considering the sensor and wiring for it is right in that immediate area.

here are some pics of the sensor and location in the wiring diagram it's located in A3

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I changed the crankshaft position sensor and it still doesn't crank.

then we have to check to see if your getting proper voltage to the sensor by bridging the wire connector with a volt meter , get back to me with what you find.