Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

I have a 2004 Toyota 4Runner Limited. It just turned 115,000

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Toyota 4Runner Limited. It just turned 115,000 miles and the check engine light/ vsc lights came on. mechanic diagnosed 6 cylinder misfire. put in new coil pack and spark plugs. lights went off. lights back on in about two weeks with new coil pack. lights off again, but now back on. mechanic says it's probably the fuel injector, but online I see many complaints from other owners of this year, this model stating that when the engine turns just over 100,000 miles this happens because coolant has leaked onto the cylinder causing major repairs of two to three thousand dollars. what does the repair entail and if Toyota has known about this problem why hasn't something been done to fix it? I am retired and will have difficulty paying thousands of dollars to repair a vehicle that I had planned to keep for another fifty or sixty miles.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for posting

It's more likely to be a fuel injector than a blown head gasket, the V6 engines up to 1995 did have head gasket problems but this engine has not have chronic gaste problems but of course nothing can be ruled out,

Signs of coolant leaking into the combustion chamber are:

Loss of coolant in the reservoir bottle

external leak

engine running hotter than normal

white or gray exhaust emission especially at cold start

Does it have any of these symptoms?

The head gaskets can also be tested using a simple chemical test that detects hydrocarbons in the cooling system or by using an emission tester, both can be done at most repair shops, so if you are in doubt about the headgasket have it tested. The #6 uel injector is fairly easy to get to o you may consider just trying it first.

Please let me know if you have any other questions about this.