Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Tech
7276279

Left 09 rav4 at a friends house while on vacation for a

Customer Question

Left 09 rav4 at a friends house while on vacation for a week...never driven or started came back to a dead battery jumped it....all warning lights on radio doest work and the engine does not respond to gas pedal
JA: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?
Customer: Did not test battery....
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I haven tried anything...no where to start
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Could it be the ETCS fuse
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Justanswer. Thank you for your question and I will assist you with your concern.

The usual cause of the problem you are having is caused by the computer having lost the closed throttle values due to the dead battery. You can usually resolve this by disconnecting the negative battery cable and then take some carb cleaner and a soft cloth and give the throttle body a good cleaning including the throttle body bore and the throttle plate of any sludge build up. After you have done this, reconnect the cable and start the engine and allow it to idle for 15 to 20 minutes to allow the computer to relearn the new closed throttle values. Once you have done this the throttle response should return in most cases. Give this a try and post back if for some reason this dose not work and we can work from there .

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
But why all the warning lights on and the only radio not work when the gas not responding
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

The low voltage from a dead battery can cause the warning lights to come on. Disconnecting the battery and cleaning the throttle body should fix this as well as clear the lights. Make sure the battery is fully charged before you start this repair as well.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I switched the fuses and cleaned the throttle body and it worked the only thing now us the 4WD light is on and I have NO idea how to get that off....
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Okay then the next steps would be to have the system scanned to see if there are any fault code setting.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No fault code ...disconnected battery for over an hour and all memory saved including radio....4WD light remains on....I don't even know if 4WD is engaged....I was told it was automatic
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

If the light is on then there has to be a code, you can not retrieve theses code with a code reader.