Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified

Check engine and vsclights are on, no, 2005, yes. nothing.

Customer Question

check engine and vsclights are on
JA: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?
Customer: no
JA: Not a problem. You can work with the Toyota Mechanic to figure that out. What year is your Toyota?
Customer: 2005
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes. nothing.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: cruise does not work
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for posting

The check engine light will also cause other lights to turn on and cruise control to stop working, this is so by design, these systems are disabled as long as the check engine light is on. The first thing to do is get dome diagnostic information out of the computer, you can have this done at no charge at most of the larger auto parts stores (ex CA)

I see you listed it as a 2005 year and I would also need to know when you reply what model it is and which engine/trans it has, thanks. Let me know if you need additional help with getting the diagnostic code information.

Most of the time the problem is emission control related and may be only a minor issue if the vehicle is running normally, Check your gas cap, be sure it's on tight and look under the hood for any disconnected hoses etc especially if it has recently been worked on.