scionking
scionking, Toyota Expert
Experience:  5 YRS EXP. ASE MASTER CERTIFIED/ TOYOTA MASTER CERTIFIED
26789525

2009 Venza a/c problem, passenger side blows cold quickly,

Customer Question

2009 Venza a/c problem, passenger side blows cold quickly, driver's side blows warm at start, then cools slightly, but not as cold as passenger side. ??
Category: Toyota
Expert:  scionking replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer, my name is***** ask a few questions so I can better understand the situation?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Live in Texas, 193,000 miles, fan blows both sides. When starting on hot afternoon, passenger side temp set to 71, blows cold; drivers side set to 71, blows hot. After 5-10 minutes drive time, driver side cools down [but not cold]. If temp control on passenger side is raised, drivers side lowered at same time, drivers side does blow cooler, but not as cold as the passenger side. Weird.

Thank you for the explanation, this answers the questions I had. This is a common problem that I see with A/C systems. The A/C system needs to be recharged and inspected for leaks, the issue you have right now is the first signs of low refrigerant in the A/C system. What happens is the cold refrigerant isn't as cold as its supposed to be, due to the lower amount of it. On this car the refrigerant path cools down the passenger side first then the drivers side, by the time the refrigerant makes it to the drivers side it doesn't have enough thermal energy to cool down the drivers side sufficiently. So it is probably just as simple as having the system recharged, but may be the first signs of a very small leak.