Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

2009 I am hearing a growling noise when accelerating, if I

Customer Question

2009 I am hearing a growling noise when accelerating , if I take my foot of the gas goes away , and when in idle its smooth and quiet? Only when accelerating in a straight line or up hills etc....?
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: starts good , not sure about a gas hog ...I just bought it and filled it the other day ...
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing as of yet ?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I had a 2009 2 weeks ago and it only had 52,000 km , it never made this noise .However was involved in an accident and the car was totalled .I turned around and replaced it with the same year model with a few more km 95 k to be exact .Just find that this is a weird noise as a rule ...I am the proud owner of over 4 camrys in the past 20 years .So this is not norm for Toyota ...They have always been very quite and super smooth .
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 8 months ago.

Do you have a recording of the noise? Noises are hard to diagnose in tis type of format? Do you have the VIN available?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Vin#4T1BE46K99U794928 and it's a growling type noise sounds almost like a muffler /catalaic cinvertor ?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No lights indicating anything and the car runs smoothly in idle

Is the noise loud enough to get a recording of it and post it here?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Not sure how I can record ?Its while driving I hear it

Given your description you probably wouldn't hear the noise from a recording anyway. That being said I checked multiple service bulletins for this type of noise 2007 through 2009 had a lot of issues with weeks rattles popping noises and so on. There is one particular service bulletin number T-SB-0327-08 that does fit your description it had to do it a rattle growling type noise on acceleration from the center exhaust pipe. It's possible that noise is coming from there. If you Google that TSB number you can find a copy of it online.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
okay I will see if this in fact the issue .I took it for another drive and from inside the vehicle it sounds like its towards the upper side dash area of the vehicle , the article talks about the resonator and a replacement center pipe so if that would be this area ...we may have found my problem. I am stopping at a muffler place down the road with the article in hand and will see what they say .

Okay, let me know how goes there are couple of the things as far as service bulletins one for the brake booster and on for the upper windshield glass to molding attaching strip. It can cause a growling or buzzing noise but that's typically right along the instrument panel where you hear the noise sometimes it resonates up towards the roof lining.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok will don,but I don't feel the other two would be it ....it's coming from underneath not dash or windshield ...

OK let me know and please do not forget to rate the assistance that I provided to you at three or higher.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Will do

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you

OK no need t reply until then otherwise the question won't clear from my screen until I reply back to you.