Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer

My key fob won't unlock the doors so if battery was dead how

Customer Question

My key fob won't unlock the doors so if battery was dead how do I unlock it to open the hood to jump it?
JA: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?
Customer: The doors and hood will not open
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: Toyota highlander hybrid 2006
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: just pushing key fob. Can't get doors or hood open. Would at least like to be able to drive it to mechanic. Local dealer wasn't any help. Just said tow it in to have it reset
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: also has an anti theft device. Have one key but it will only go part way into the door and hatch lock
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer and allowing me to assist you. The battery you need to access is the auxiliary battery located in the back left corner under an access panel. it has to be charged and checked with a proper charger and special procedure or you may damage it.D have anther fob try r change the fob batteries? Try spraying penetrating fluid into the door and trunk locks then working the key in and out , this may free the tumblers and allow you to open one or the other.hope this helps . If you need further assistance I'll be happy to do so