Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

2008 sienna. VSC, check engine, and trac off lights came on

Customer Question

2008 sienna. VSC, check engine, and trac off lights came on during a long road trip.
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: it stays on
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: it started having trouble shifting to higher gears while driving, it would kind of lurch. this is what got me really concerned. i took ot to my mechanic and he changed the batery.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: in general there have beensmall electrical glitches. such as when the doors are open and we are unloading the lights will flicker on and off.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Jared D replied 3 months ago.

When the VSC light sets on this vehicle it indicates the presence of a trouble code in the computer. Did your mechanic scan the computer for trouble codes before changing the battery?

Expert:  Jared D replied 3 months ago.

The VSC light can trigger for countless reasons so without a code to give you an idea where to look it will be difficult to know where to begin diagnosis.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I doubt it. They just told me I need a new transmission and that it will cost $3,000.
Expert:  Jared D replied 3 months ago.

That's tough to determine from just a VSC light. How many miles does your vehicle have?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
120,000
Expert:  Jared D replied 3 months ago.

I don't know that I would condemn the transmission at only 120k miles. The sienna typically has a fairly robust transmission. I think I would wait for the VSC and check engine light to set again and then scan for trouble codes. It could be something as simple as needing a tune up-it it hasn't already been done (usually due at 100k).

Expert:  Jared D replied 3 months ago.

Did you need any additional help with your vehicle? Please don't forge to rate if I have been of some assistance.