Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified

I have a 2006 toyota corrolla, w/ no reverse. I have to push

Customer Question

Hi my name is***** have a 2006 toyota corrolla , w/ no reverse. I have to push the parking lock button to move the shifter, when I do go from park to reverse the car wants to go forward, I have neuteral (somewhat),and all other forward gears,runs great w/ 113000 miles , starts in park no problem,any ideas?
JA: Does the vehicle have a fuse that enables or disables the shifter?
Customer: I'm not sure .Where would the fuse be?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I;de like to try to fix it myslf.I haven't done much, just check the cable to make sure it was working, checked fliud level,
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Ihad the ecm replaced before this occurred,as part of a recall,tranny shifts good,,but,all forward gears except park and neuteral
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for posting

The reason it may not come out of park may be because the brake lights are not working, another may be that the shift interlock system solenoid is faulty, please check the brake lights, if they are not working check or replace the STOP fuse on the fuse panel inside at the left lower dash, if that fixes it let me know if the other problem still persists.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi ***** phone # is(###) ###-####it is 1:59 p.m. I'll be at ihis # till 2:30 today. I'll try yuor suggestions and we'll talk thanl you ,david

Thanks, ***** ***** me know here what happens and we'll go from there.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hey Ted one more thing .where is the shift interlock system solenoid located?

It's right there in the console, just remove the shifter cover, not the part with the shift indicator, from the console

you should be able to see the solenoid and the rod connected to the shifter and the moving parts, sometimes these can get stuck and a little cleaning and lubricating will free things up.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'll try your suggestions,but,would either solution fix the problemwhere I go forward when in reverse gear?

At this time I don't think so, I thought it may be a good idea to fix the stuck in park issue first. Doesn't sound like that's a shifter issue because all shift positions seem to be normal, could be a transmission solenoid problem, is the check engine light staying on now?

hello, how's it going? Do you still need help with the transmission issue?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Ted, the brake switch is ok,and its no longer stuck in park,now, park is park, next I move the shifter from park to reverse and reverse is also a park gear then neuteral is a forward gear and all others are forward gears. I to was thinking trans. solenoid. Do you think that could cause the incorrect gear/shfter problem? Could the ECM be the cause ?

Thanks for the reply, a transmission solenoid won't cause this, all the solenoids do is to upshift and downshift the transmission, the shift selector is connected mechanically to the valve body, by shifting into park and the other gears you're moving a control rod that is attached to the main shift valve in the valve body, the park position is pure mechanical and no electronics are involved, carefully check the shift selector motion on the transmission or I have a better idea, disconnect the shift cable from the transmission and manually move the shift selector on the transmission by hand and see if you still get this same problem, make sure the car is in park first with the e brake on, engine running at idle and best block the wheels, then move the shift selector on the transmission from park to reverse and in to neutral and D and see if it acts normally now, it sounds to me this is a mechanical problem let me know how that goes.

I know about the recall for the ECMs on this Corolla but if your not getting the check engine light I don't think it's a problem and I've never seen this due to a computer malfunction, just out of curiosity check the ECM part number, the computer is located below the glove box under a black plastic cover, remove it and give me the part number, it will start with the numbers 09661 and then letters and numbers this will tell me if the computer is recalled.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Ted, I like your idea! I'll diconnect the trans. cable, and manually shift into each gear. I shouldbe able to get to that today. Also you should know, I already had the ECM replaced by toyota,still maybe its defective, the check eng. lgt. IS on. So, I'll try the manual thing first, then get the # for the heck of it, and I'll get back to you.Thanks for all your help, have a good weekend,and I'll get back to you asap. See Ya, David Mossy

You're welcome, if you can, have a diagnostic check done for the check engine light, most of the larger auto parts chain stores do that at no charge if you don't have a code reader yourself.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Ted, I disconnected the linkage off the tranny, and manually moved the shifter/trans.arm, into the reverse position, the the neuteral position,drive, and so on; the results are as follows: park is park, reverse is park,neuteral is drive,or,a forward gear , drive is drive,second is a forward gear, and so on. Seems to be internal. Whats your thought?

Thanks, ***** ***** seen some very strange transmission issues caused by a faulty computer, it's definitely an internal problem and it can still be a computer problem because it may activate the wrong solenoids so even though you have selected a certain gear position it may electronically select a different gear. We better make sure and see if there are any codes related to the transmission in the computer

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Ted,Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you. I'll make arrangements to do a diagnostic on the corolla, and I'll get back to you. It'll take me a couple days, so I'll get back to you asap., with some codes. Thanks again, David M.

That's no problem ,been kind of busy myself as you probably noticed, I'll be online as much as I can in the next few days.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Ted, no news about the corolla yet; because I'm waiting on a new diagnostic tool that will be in this coming week.You've been great in getting back to me , I thank you once again. I'll be in touch as soon as I get some codes! Sincerely, ***** ***** Mossy
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for the update, David.