Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified

Have toyota corolla verso 2005 with the a/c blowing warm air

Customer Question

Hi, have toyota corolla verso 2005 with the a/c blowing warm air the majority of the time. Intermittently it will blow cool air but not really cold. Have been told I need a new pump but I'm not convinced. Is there a way of knowing if it's not the pump rather than just replacing it? I'm wondering if it's the relay
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: everything on the car works perfectly. The panel bit (sorry I'm not great with the names) inside on the dash which has the a/c controls was replaced. done 110,000
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Hoping to get husband to fix. Was trying to sort myself with garage and suggested the relay but they didn't check that and said it was the pump. When I turn the a/c on I can feel & hear the a/c starting
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No, except it's flipping hot without a/c lol
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for posting

The relay is a very possible cause for intermittent a/c operation and a relatively easy and inexpensive fix, it's available from aftermarket sources for around $20.00 so it's worth a try before going into this deeper.

It's located in the fuse panel under the hood near the battery , the relays are located as per diagram inside the fuse cover, look for the MG/CL relay, give that a try, it's actually a not uncommon issue on these model Corollas, good luck and let me know if you should need additional assistance with this.