scionking
scionking, Toyota Expert
Experience:  5 YRS EXP. ASE MASTER CERTIFIED/ TOYOTA MASTER CERTIFIED
26789525

2009 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4WD. Thought battery was dead. Had it

Customer Question

2009 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4WD. Thought battery was dead. Had it replaced. Truck started and tech moved out of bay. Truck wouldn't start after that. No clicking or noise. Some current getting to some features but not windows, radio, and sometimes door locks. Dome lights and dash lights work. Replaced alternator. Truck sometimes has fast clicking noise when trying to start but still no start or electrical power to certain items. Check fuses. All appear okay. Tried banging on starter but still didn't start. Help!
Category: Toyota
Expert:  scionking replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer my name is ***** ***** I start with asking some questions so I can better understand the situation?

Hi are you still there?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am here.

Are you looking to repair this yourself, or are you looking for suggestions to give you mechanic?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am trying to do what I can myself because I don't have money to take to a shop. Battery was under warranty so I took to have it replaced. Thought alternator was problem so I replaced it last night Still wouldn't start. Make a couple of fast clicking sounds and then nothing. Tried hitting starter and a click sound once in awhile. Still no power to windows, a/c, radio and won't start
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I called Toyota dealership and they said they would run diagnostics but with battery disconnection it is gone. Mechanic said 70 miles to reset but it won't start!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
battery terminals look good and I saw no burned out fuses

Sound like you have some sort of voltage drop occurring.

How many miles on this vehicle?

Also any accidents, body work, transmission replacement, other work?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
120 K miles. No accidents, body work, transmission replacement or other work. Nothing. Just started slow cranking and dash indicators flashing like dead battery
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
battery terminal was corroded when problem started so I cleaned it.

OK....

Do you have jumper cables and /or a volt meter?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I tried to jump it last night. I have voltage meter too
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Battery has charge indicated on dash. gauges work or appear to.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
person driving from bay after replacing battery put it in 4WD low. Thought it was odd. No reason to touch 4WD. Maybe no connection
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Are you there?

yes.......typing out response

I would take one of the black clamps of the jumper cables and connect it to the battery,ensuring that it contacts the post and the terminal, then take the other black clamp of the jumper cable and attach it to any metal on the engine block, then try to start. What this is going to do is provide an alternate ground path in case your vehicle ground has a voltage drop, high resistance in it.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Okay, I can try that tonight when I get home. If this works, when the ground wire is not good or does not have a good connection? Or is this a test for seeing for something else?Someone mentioned an ignition switch problem. Are you ruling this out due to the electrical issues with some of the accessories? My next question would be the relay switch to the starter or a solenoid. I don't want to randomly replace stuff but I can see how those items would affecting it starting but not the electrical issues. Other thought was to try to trace wires to see if any damage or lose connection. Battery didn't last full 2 years so it was defective.

Yes this test is to see if you have a bad ground wire, or ground connection(almost always the connection). The fact that you said fast clicking noise, but no start and that you have a new battery leads me to believe that you have a voltage drop some where. The fast clicking noise is usually a relay being activated, but the vehicle does not have enough voltage or current to keep that relay closed or open. Also the fact that some items work and some don't. If the Jumper cable doesn't work, I was going to next recommend swapping the starter relay with one of the other non essential relays next to it to see if can start. We could also do a voltage test at the starter solenoid wire to see if we have a signal. I would say try the jumper cable first, and lets go from there.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Okay. I will try jumper cables first. I will let you know after I have tried it. Thanks! Stormy weather here and car is in driveway so I may not be able to do it tonight but at first good weather and not working.

OK sounds good to me, this conversion should stay open for a while, just let me know your findings and we can proceed.

Just checking in to see if you still need assistance with this? If I have answered your question please be so kind as to accept my answer and rate the level of service provided. If you have any follow up questions I'd be more than happy to help. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I tested the ground as you instructed and it didn't do anything. I tried using all keys I had to vehicle and the immobilizer light started flashing. I am going to replace battery cables as they were very corroded and perhaps that could be what was wrong. I appreciate your help and I know it is hard to diagnose with limited information.

OK, well if you find you have any more follow up questions, please don't hesitate to ask, best of luck with the FJ