Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Toyota Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Toyota Diagnostics

Battery light on this morning, seemed fine yesterday, I'm

Customer Question

Battery light on this morning , seemed fine yesterday
JA: Have you tested the battery? Have you tried testing the alternator?
Customer: I'm going to take it to the shop in about an hour. The mechanic might be the alternator not charging. Is this an expensive repair?
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 2003 corolla
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I haven't tried anything. I'm waiting for a blood test and them I'll take it to the shop. I like this shop. They are honest. I just hope it's not expensive
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I'm not handy with cars
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 months ago.

When the battery light comes on, this is a problem in the charging system. This can be a problem with the battery, alternator or serpentine belt. There is a quick and easy test for the battery and alternator. But, more commonly, this is a failing alternator. The alternator sells for around $232. The Labor Time Guide calls for a little under an hour to complete the job. Labor rates vary from shop to shop, so what you pay for labor will effect the bot***** *****ne. For a job of this type, a "fair" labor rate can be anywhere from $85-$125 per hour. If you found this answer helpful, please help me by leaving a rating using the "stars" at the top of the page or click 'accept'.
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for answering your question. Please do the right thing and rate or accept!