Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles

Cannot turn key to ignition. Have tried most things. Trying

Customer Question

Cannot turn key to ignition. Have tried most things. Trying to pull out the cylinder now but since I can't get the key to turn to acc I cannot push the button on the cylinder to remove it
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged? What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: Wheel locked. 1997 land cruiser
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. I have access to the cylinder but cannot get it to release from the housing
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I can't think of anything at the moment.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad ,Welcome To JustAnswer, I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting a reply ASAP

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you.

have you tried simply wd 40 in the key hole using the small tip with plastic tube that comes with spray can around the key and let it soaked for few hours and try to free it up

you need to get to that acc position to get to that button or you have to destroy it, unfortunately ,which will require another steering column IF YOU RUINED THE HOUSING IN THE COLUMN WHERE THE CYLINDER SITTS

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Already tried WD40. Have not ruined the housing. Been trying to force to acc position with flat head screw driver but still can't get to turn to acc.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How else can I get it out?

take the whole steering column out at this point and having it on the floor you have a better chance pulling it out or try to get to that pin.

I know it is a messed up situation , i ran into it before , if you ruin it ,keep in mind you might need a new column that will be worse case scenario, the key is to pull it out so you can install the new one intact .i know easier said then done .

I m sorry there is no procedure on how to take the cylinder out in case you can not turn the key and it is jammed in my manuals.

this one you have to be creative .I used a zz gun before and cut it out , but that is more involved stuff here .