Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

I have a problem with the air con on my 1998 Toyotas Avensis

Customer Question

Hi
JA: Hello. What do you want help with?
Customer: I have a problem with the air con on my 1998 Toyotas Avensis right hand drive.
JA: How long has this been an issue? How many miles are on the car?
Customer: Only stopped working a few weeks ago. About 110,000
JA: What is the model of your '98 Toyota?
Customer: 2.0 CDI Auto
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: The A/C light comes on the dash but the compressor doesn't engage. It was working fine (very cold) up until a few weeks ago so think it is probably a fuse.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Ideally I'm trying to locate the fuse for the Aircon as having looked in the manual and online it seems very unclear especially for right hand drive cars.
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Are you able to help about the A/C fuse?
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer , my name is Peter and here to assist you. first basic things you need to do or have done. Check the drive belt for the A/C to see if it's in good shape and not slipping, then you should do a performance test to see what the Freon pressures show, this will tell you if the internal mechanical parts are working properly and charge is good. Can you locate the A/C relay ? In the mean time I'l look up the electrical routing. But the basics need to be checked first .

Ok the wiring shows fuse and relay location in right side lower front kick panel but being yours is right hand drive it could very well be the opposite side. usually all fuse and relays are clearly marked on the top or under the lid of the fuse blocks. hope this helps but remember do those basic checks I mentioned as well. if you need further assistance I'll be happy to do so.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks for that.
I have tried looking in the passenger side kick panel but I can't see a fuse in there just lots of wire connectors and one relay. Could it be that? On the driver's side foot well there is the main cabin fuse box and I have tried all those and none seem to be broken.

I'm at a loss rt now where it could be but check under hood area in that fuse relay block. Is nothing marked? but be sure the basics I mentioned are checked. In the mean time I'll see what I can find.

Ok the relay for A/C should be under the hood and marked on the cover of the fuse/relay box which one it's . If you have a test light you can probe the connectors and see if you have switch response to the relay by checking each one there should be one powered all the time and one should go on and off with the switch, the other two are a ground and one to the magnetic clutch. If you have power from the switch one that goes off and on then the fuse is definitely ok then you can jump the relay by using a jump wire from the terminal that is always powered to the clutch terminal.If the compressor works then and has a good charge it could be a faulty pressure switch or the relay itself.