Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

My 2002 Fourunner VSC Trac lights & Check engine light just

Customer Question

My 2002 Fourunner VSC Trac lights & Check engine light just came on.
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: Stays on
JA: What is the model of your '02 Toyota?
Customer: Fourunner 4x4
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: If possible I'd give it a shot.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I've done nothing to it so far as it just came on.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for posting

Let me briefly explain why these lights all turn on at the same time, the engine control computer has detected a malfunction of the engine control system which includes the emission control system, when the engine light turns on thesre are other systems that will be disabled by the computer, most commonly the skid control and abs/trac control and sometimes the cruise control and 4x4 functions. The first thing is to find out why the check engine light is on by retrieving diagnostic code information from the computer, although there are a couple of things you can check yourself first, check to make sure the gas cap is not missing and is on tight, check under the hood, check the coolant level, the engine oil level and for any obvious things that may look out of place like a disconnected vacuum hose or electrical connector damaged or disconnected. If the engine is running normally for the most part and not overheating and the transmission shifts properly the problem may only be related to the emission control system,

in most cases a sensor of some sort.

Most auto parts stores like Autozone, O Reilly., can help you get the diagnostic codes (DTCs) at no charge (expt. CA) after you have the code number information please reply bac here and I can help you figure out what to do to correct the condition.