Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I have a 1994 Camry V6 LE. Recently purchased. The previous

Customer Question

I have a 1994 Camry V6 LE. Recently purchased. The previous owners let it sit and told me there were battery problems. I put almost 1000 miles on it without any issues at all. I drove it home parked it. Changed clothes to go to soccer and when I came out, there was no battery power at all. No lights, no door chimes, no dash lights when the key was turned. Nothing. Purchased a new battery to start my trouble shooting, cleaned the battery terminal connectors, and hooked it up. No change. Pulled the main fuse, and it tested good. Where do I go from here?
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: Some fuses, yes. But this is a system wide problem. No headlights, no taillights, no dash lights, no door chime, no windows. What fuse can I check that would affect all of the systems on the car all at once?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Hoping to fix it myself. I was hoping that since it affects all power, it would be easy to identify and repair. Purchased a new battery to start my trouble shooting, cleaned the battery terminal connectors, and hooked it up. No change. Pulled the main fuse, and it tested good.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Don't believe so. But it ran coming home from work. I parked it, and 15 minutes later it was and continues to be completely dead
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 9 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. If I understand you correctly, you parked the car and 15 minutes later the new battery was dead? Is this correct?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Not correct. Parked the car, and 15 minutes later, the car was completely dead. No power to any system on the car. I have replaced the battery, cleaned the terminal connectors, and replaced the main fuse.

Ok. Got it. Do you have a means of checking DC voltage? DC voltmeter of 12 volt DC testlight?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Cheap voltmeter.

Cheap works. Please perform the following tests:

Voltage reading across the battery battery posts (positive to negative)

Voltage reading from the battery positive post to anyplace on the engine that is metal.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
12.34 and 12.34

Connect the black lead to something metal on the engine. Test the following fuse sockets for power (remove the fuse, probe each side of the socket) in the fuse box under the hood (key not on):

15 amp ECU B

7.5 amp ALT-S

30 amp AM2

40 amp MAIN

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
All come back with a reading of 12.33

ok. Please remove the HEADLIGHT relay form the fuse box that is under the hood. (same panel you were just at). Probe each of the 4 sockets. You should have 12.3 volts in two sockets.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have 12.32 on two of the sockets

Good. Looks like we have a failed POWER fuse or issue with the POWER circuit. Under the dashboard, on the driver side, is another fuse panel. On the left of this panel are the traditional small/colored fuses. On the right side of this panel there are fuses that resemble the 40 amp MAIN fuse that is found in the panel under the hood. There are 3 of these fuses. two are stacked vertically. You want to inspect the top fuse of these two. You also want to inspect the same style fuse that is higher and to the left of the top fuse mentioned. Inspect the filament in the base of each fuse. Check for power in the sockets. I expect you to find that the top fuse (the two stacked vertically) is either blown or it has no power. .

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I found another fuse panel under the ashtray on the left of the steering wheel, but it only contains the small/colored fuses, but did not see another fuse panel under the dash on the drivers side. However, I found a small toggle switch mounted under the dash that I accidentally flipped when I was crawling around on the floor. I flipped it back and the door chime started to sound. I inserted the key and the dash lights came on. I tried the ignition and I got a very short crank and now I get nothing, not even a click. I rechecked the battery and it had dropped to 12.20. Still looking for the other fuse panel with what you described.

The fuse panel I am describing is part of the fuse panel you see to the left of the steering wheel under the dashboard. . You may need to remove the screws and 10 MM bolts to lower the lower trim panel (under the dashboard) to see the entire panel. The switch is not factory, and it, or what it is connected to may be the actual problem. This is some type of override or kill switch that is attached to an aftermarket alarm. Power from the POWER fuse mentioned above runs thru this added accessory and is most likely the entire problem. If this car was in my shop, I would be tracing the wires from this small toggle switch and removing whatever is connected to the toggle switch. This will probably rectify the issue. Aftermarket alarms fail quite often and are not reliable at all.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok. The alarm has been removed. Back to no power for anything: lights, dash, door chimes, starter, etc. I have checked the battery and it is sitting at 12.49 across the terminals and 12.45 from metal to positive.I rechecked everything that you had me do earlier
15 amp ECU B - .83
7.5 amp ALT-S - .83
30 amp AM2 - .83
40 amp MAIN - .83
HEAD - .83
Fuses from the panel under the dash - .83

You said earlier that you had 12.33 at the fuses in the fuse panel. Check the battery cable from the battery to the fuse panel. There should be an inline fusible link. Attach the black lead to metal on the engine. Probe into the positive battery cable between the battery and the fuse panel. See if the voltage drops. If so, you need a positive battery cable.

Please test for power in the 2 Headlamp fuses in the fuse panel under the hood. These would be the bottom 2 in the center column of 5 fuses