Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Toyota Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Toyota Diagnostics
18617752

Vsc/trac/check engine lights came on in conjunction with a

Customer Question

vsc/trac/check engine lights came on in conjunction with a vibration in the vehicle and sluggish acceleration
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: stays on
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 01 Land Cruiser
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: We had used*****earlier in the day..thought it was related. Put it in and out of*****..drove around backwards...that's it so far
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 8 months ago.

When you say the vehicle has a vibration and is sluggish, does it feel like the engine is "skipping" or "chugging"?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
As soon as you turn the ignition, the vibration is noticeable. I wouldn't say that it skips or chugs but that it feels extra heavy or like you're pulling something and feels like something is out of whack. I'm afraid to go over 40 and getting to that takes a bit. The 3 lights don't go off.
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 8 months ago.

Ok. First- a little insight... When the Check Engine light comes on, the VSC/Trac lights are also set, which turns these systems off. This is a self-preservation mechanism, in case the reason the Check Engine Light is on can harm or effect the VSC/Trac systems. So- fix the reason why the Engine Light is on, and the VSC/Trac systems will come back online.

So, from what you are describing here, it sounds like this is going to be the case of a Cylinder Misfire. Seeing as the Check Engine Light stays on, there's probably only one cylinder that is being affected. If it were multiple, the Engine Light would blink. Unfortunately, there are a few different things that can cause a cylinder misfire. The more common here though is a faulty Ignition Coil. There is one for each cylinder/spark plug. No need to replace them all when only one is faulty. My advice at this point would be to have the Diagnostic Trouble Codes (aka "P-Codes") scanned from the on-board computer. These p-codes will more accurately point to which cylinder has the misfire, and from there, the correct coil can be replaced. You can have these p-codes read FREE (except in California) at any local "big chain" part store (ie. AutoZone, PepBoys, Advanced, etc). So, for example, if the p-code is P0304, this would be cylinder #4. Whereas the lsat digit is the cylinder number (P0301 = Cyl1, P0302 = Cyl2, etc). Carefully inspect the electrical connector and wire harness for any loose, broken or damaged wires. Remove the spark plug and inspect it for any cracks in the body or worn diode. If the inspections check ok, and the p-code is for a misfire of a single-cylinder, replace the ignition coil. If you found this answer helpful, please help me by leaving a rating using the "stars" at the top of the page or click 'accept'.
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for answering your question. Please rate or accept.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 8 months ago.

If there are any other questions you had on this issue, or had a specific question that I may have missed in my answer, please feel free to reply and ask!

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 8 months ago.

If you'd like an image location view of the ignition coils and a brief procedure to replace them, please don't hesitate to ask. I want to make sure you have all the info you need to resolve this issue.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 8 months ago.

Hi Gary! I noticed this thread was still open and you did not leave a rating , so I wanted to check in and see how you made out? Did you have the p-codes scanned? Was the problem a cylinder misfire? Did you have any other questions on this issue? If you have no further questions and simply forgot to leave a rating, please take a second and use the stars at the top of the page to rate our Q&A session. Thank-you!

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 8 months ago.

..

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 8 months ago.

..